Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Iced Coffee Comparision of 2009

I got myself a BK Mocha Joe the other day and I was completely addicted to them for several days after that. That lasted until I checked out the nutrition facts. WOW! They are terrible for you. So I was sad, because I was loving them so much. Today, I decided to try making my own and running the nutrition facts for it. Turned out pretty dang tasty and healthy enough to drink one every day.

Here are the facts on the competition:
BK: 22 oz: 380 cal., 10 g fat, 63 g sugar (Yowza)
McD's: 16 oz: 310 cal., 13 g fat, 35 g sugar
Starbucks: 16 oz: 350 cal., 20 g fat (ouch!), 27 g sugar (this one probably has whipped cream on top so that adds their fat content)

These were pretty close comparisons, they are all specifically the mocha iced coffee, and close in size. The Starbucks has the whipped cream on top, so you could remove that to reduce each category a little bit. And I will give props to McD's and Starbucks because you can sub for skim milk, so that will reduce things a bit too. But as you can see, these are not something anyone should be drinking daily.

My recipe: This is the only one I've tasted so far
95 cal., .5 g fat, 10 g sugar
1/2c. skim milk
1 tbls. Hershey's Syrup
1 c. coffee
Ice

Sugar Free Version:
60 cal., .3 g fat, 0 g sugar
1/2c. skim milk
2 tbls. Hershey's Sugar Free Syrup
1 c. coffee
Ice

Creamier Version:

79 cal., 2 g fat, 0 g sugar
1/2c. skim milk
1 tbls. Half and half
2 tbls. Hershey's Sugar Free Syrup
1 c. coffee
Ice


All of the chain nutrition facts came from http://www.thedailyplate.com/ and my calculations were done on http://www.sparkpeople.com/.

No comments: