Thursday, May 28, 2009

Maple Salmon

I've been trying to add more fish servings to our weekly meals. Sometimes I manage two, but at least one a week. I'm not a huge salmon lover. I've tried it several ways and I always have the same reaction... blah. But I found this recipe in my Cooking Light mag a few months ago. I've made it twice so far and it's pretty good. The first time I cooked it perfectly, this time my piece was really small so it got a little dry and overcooked, but still not bad.
Maple Salmon:
2 tbls. lemon juice
1 tbls. cider vinegar
2 tbls. maple syrup
1 tbls. EVOO
Combine in a zip lock bag and add fish. Seal and marinate for 20 minutes. I usually marinate a little longer than that.

Salt & pepper the fish on both sides and then sear one side in a hot skillet for two to three minutes. Meanwhile microwave the rest of the marinate for one minute and then baste the fish with it. Flip and cook another two to three minutes, basting all the while. Then put the whole skillet under the broiler for three minutes. Make sure your skillet is oven safe. Mine is Kitchen Aid and it can withstand up to 400 degrees.

I served it with the most amazing honey mustard potatoes. I only had three, so I added some peppers and frozen peas. I can't remember where the potato recipe came from, but it has evolved so much by now that it doesn't really matter anymore.

5 medium to large gold potatoes
1 tbls. EVOO
1 tbls. Garlic Expressions
5-10 garlic cloves, unpeeled.

Toss sliced potatoes in EVOO and garlic expressions. Spread out on a sprayed baking sheet. Sprinkle unpeeled garlic around the tray. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes or until potatoes are soft.

In a serving bowl combine:
1 tbls. EVOO
3 tbls. Honey Mustard Dressing
Salt & Pepper

When potatoes come out of the oven, pull the garlic off and squeeze the roasted cloves into the serving bowl. Mash them with a fork, then whisk everything together. Add potatoes and toss.

No comments: